Replacement of RBC's at Middleburg Ultracity WWTP
• The existing Rotating Biological Contactors were not operational
• Continual shaft, and bearing failures were the norm
• Advanced corrosion of the rotor was evident
• The media had broken up and was falling off the rotor
• The RBC covers were replaced with 3CR12 frames and polycarbonate sheeting as the existing covers had disintegrated .
• 2 new RBC rotors, with epicyclic geared motors were supplied
• New bearings and media were supplied along with new shafts and HDG steel framework
• The new rotor now requires a lot less maintenance as the new geared motor no longer uses chain drives.
• The gearbox is generously sized and can handle restarts from power outages
• The new media is arranged in replaceable modules such that individual modules can be replaced without replacing the entire media pack.